Further Elevator Ruminations

If you missed it, I have had other observations about the elevator.

Elevator Game - Mary Laws taught me this game. Much love, Laws. The premise is simple, when you are in the elevator with one or two other people, you set the car in motion toward the first or second floor, then you begin running around in circles. When the doors open the first one out of the elevator wins. This game is much easier if you play it with no one else in the elevator.

The Awkward Elevator Opening to the Dance Studio Moment - When I am descending to the first floor, usually on my way to the Green Room, the door opens to a dozen people dancing to Lady Marmalade or Big Girls Don't Cry or something, in the dance studio. Invariably, when they hear the elevator door open, they look to see who it is, and seeing me and knowing that I appreciate a joke, they start goofily dancing aggressively or seductively in my direction. If I were prepared for it, I'd laugh, or do a much more ridiculous dance in retort. But usually, I'm thinking about casting, or the classical unities, or something very far removed from silly, sexy dancing. I usually end up just looking startled and scared and I wave an awkward wave and run. Occasionally, I anticipate the door's opening and strike a "How YOU doin'?" kind of pose, or begin dancing myself. And when I do this, the door opens and there is no dance class and Sally, or Dawn, or Mr. Sherry are standing there looking at me. Embarrassed as I am, they hardly seem surprised to see something like that happening in this building.

2 comments:

lindsay...not amelia said...

i love that you used the rick roll function. way to put what you learn into practice.

lindsay...i remembered my password!

Meatball said...

It says that video isn't available in my country...